What else happened during my ‘week of adventure’? Well, next up was the guided tour of the Library of Congress. I did have the pleasure of exploring this American showpiece while out here for my interview, but it really is an impressive representation of how much education and literature was valued by our founding fathers. They actually have a working collection of Jefferson’s personal library, which was the largest private collection of books in the U.S. at that time, over 6,000 volumes – this is fitting since the Library of Congress is the largest library in the world today. Enough of the books… alright fine, but just in case you are interested they have a great website. http://www.loc.gov/about/facts.html
After a bit of a long day, finding out my best laid plans had indeed gone awry I met up with the Corporal, who came bearing frozen yogurt, an excellent start to our Old Post Office adventure. The top of this historic building arguably has the best view in DC that is simply a short elevator ride away – a great place to showcase one’s knowledge of the skyline. (For those of you who have come out and visited me I must admit that I would be a much better tour guide now than I’m afraid I was when you were out here… you’ll just have to come back.)
Then I was off on a rather circuitous route to meet up with a friend, MU, only goal – to laugh until I cried, went to see the highly praised Wall-E, and I must say Pixar’s short did not disappoint, I could have left happy just with the preshow, however I’m glad I stayed, Wall-E was deserving of all the rave reviews.
Saturday morning rolled around which meant I rolled down to the Potomac to meet my friend Maggie for some kayaking, a total success! A great opportunity to get on the water, enjoy the peace and quiet and kayak. We then tootled around Georgetown for the afternoon and then met up for a Pool Party that her apartment tower put on, good grub, free drinks, and a live DJ.
As for tonight TJ and the corporal carried the taco torch (which I believe I failed to mention my Thaco Thursday a couple weeks ago…) Somehow we managed to squeeze a scary number of people into TJ’s studio apartment, quite fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment