Welcome to my attempt at sharing bits of my adventure. Thank you for keeping me updated on the happenings in your life and at home.

Where am I?

Friday, February 11, 2011

Key

So my regular porter (security-ish, doorman-esque, receptionist-y) is on vacation. Apparently much of the city is still on summer break. Yes, that’s right. I went from snow and inhumanely cold wind to the end of summer, where without this perfect cross breeze I think I might get a little too warm. Speaking of this cross breeze, LOVE my new place! I can’t tell you how key it is to be able to move into my digs directly. So nice.

It was great, my colleague that met me at the airport came with me to show me around my apartment. She brought out a wad of keys. “Are those really the keys?” I asked. “Yeah.” (Harry Potter fans, do you remember the flying keys in the Chamber of Secrets? My mum calls these skeleton keys.) The locks on my apartment use skeleton keys. This was very exciting, seemed castle like to me. Then I tried to use them for the first time, and the second time, and.. and I realized why this particular style has mostly gone the way of the 8-track.. So we took the elevator up to floor 5 where we were sorta still half jammed in the elevator with my luggage. “Don’t we need to go down the hallway first?” I asked. “Nope, this is it.” I didn’t understand. Yes, you see, this awesome cross breeze is possible because my place IS the 5th floor! At times it takes a bit of explaining to the delivery guys, but it is manageable trade off. And yes, as promised, there’s a guestroom :)

No comments: