Welcome to my attempt at sharing bits of my adventure. Thank you for keeping me updated on the happenings in your life and at home.

Where am I?

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Rugga Bugga!!!

Sooo, happened to meet up with a bunch folks from South Africa that happened to invite a couple of friends and me over to their place to watch the Springboks beat the All blacks for the rugby Tri-Nations Tourney that’s going on right now. This was THE ideal way to witness my first rugby match. An announcer (which just doesn’t seem like an adequate word for this man who looked more like a caricature of a old rugby player than an actual living breathing human… completely void of a neck) intro’d the match which was kicked off by the Maori (New Zealand native) pre-game show, war cry included – this also helped explained the “dance” the guys were bonding over the night before… I found this entire routine HIlarious as the ‘boks stood across looking disinterested at this show of fierce intimidation… sorry for the all blacks this was the fiercest they’d look for the day…

Favorite moment, also the moment I realized the downside of helmets, I know priorities.. but honestly seeing a ginormous rugga hurl himself down the pitch huge smile beaming across his face as he scored a Try, all the while unintelligible Afrikaans being hurled at the TV as the guys leapt off the couch – SUPER!

The afternoon was completed by a braai (BBQ) – didn’t realize that when they said they’d throw some meat on the grill they meant to say we were going to have a feast - Deeelicious! (I’ve yet to be disappointed in the variety of BBQ available in the world – proof there is universal good.) Mooi bly en totsiens!

No comments: