Welcome to my attempt at sharing bits of my adventure. Thank you for keeping me updated on the happenings in your life and at home.

Where am I?

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Happy 4th of July!!

Hello dear friends! I hope you enjoyed time with family and friends to celebrate our independence. All matter of folk wished me and America a bon fete – my favorite greeting was from my friend that works for the UK embassy here in Abidjan. She said that they’re very proud of us and have been happy to watch us succeed. Never really occurred to me that we are one of colonization’s success stories.. Though I missed the fireworks I am reminded of a little story one of my friends that worked in Goma temporarily (the frontier of the war in the Congo) came back with – there was an important VIP coming into visit, so the local authorities decided at the last minute that they should honor this person with a 21 gun salute.. well, good idea – honoring VIP, bad idea – honoring VIP with an unannounced gun salute in a war torn region… Needless to say, the locals that had shown up to show their support fled the scene, running for their lives… whoops!

Oh, newest discovery - thanks to my friends who hail from Tennessee I've been introduced to how good a hush puppy can be. Sorry Long John Silver - you don't do this fried goody justice. Oh, and being part of the 'cupcake crew' for our 4th of July BBQ I found that I am capable of baking something that didn't start in a box - I'm not going to lie, I woke up the next morning and thought my arm must hurt from tennis, oh but wait, no that's not right... yeah, I was sore from beating... I don't think my grandma would be proud - such a wimp.. but let it be noted that a KitchenAid is sooo going on my Christmas list.

No comments: