Welcome to my attempt at sharing bits of my adventure. Thank you for keeping me updated on the happenings in your life and at home.

Where am I?

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Books & Basketball goes to Baja

So every Wednesday a group of my co-workers and a few of our friends head to a community center to work with something similar to a Boys & Girls Club (kids that can afford the fees cover the orphans and kids who aren’t able to pay). The majority of kids, ranging from about 3 – 20 years old, come after school to play basketball, then stay after to meet with us and work on their English. My friend Jennifer has been printing articles on Lebron James and the Lakers recent victory – big hit! We work with the oldest group (17 – 20 year olds) and every week we go around the circle introduce ourselves and then answer whatever question happens to come to my mind… last week was favorite food. Though I have

many MANY favorite foods I went with Baja tacos.. well this led to the disturbing, though not surprising, discovery that none of students have ever tried anything Mexican. The call to action was when no one knew what a tortilla was. Well tonight happened to be Jennifer’s last night before moving back to Texas, so I decided to bring a Mexican Smorgasbord featuring mango salsa, Guacamole, corn tortilla chips, refried beans, jalapeƱos and my available ingredients spin-off of enchiladas. Great success!! The guys, oh yes, our entire group is male… (I’m continually embarrassing them about bringing some of their "girlfriends") well, besides their initial hesitancy to try a flour tortilla not much was left by the end. The young kiddos came a sniffing for whatever they could get “Si te plait – chipsiz” cute!

No comments: