Welcome to my attempt at sharing bits of my adventure. Thank you for keeping me updated on the happenings in your life and at home.

Where am I?

Sunday, December 7, 2008

My favorite Tabaski ever

Though this Muslim holiday is known by many different names, this being the first time I’d heard it called Tabaski, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eid_ul-Adha it is in celebration of Abraham’s obedience to God and God’s provision of a lamb, sparing Ishmael from being sacrificed on the mountain (for those of you who are pausing wondering if I actually meant to write Isaac the answer would be no, the Quran has a different take.)So, my friend, Ibi’s birthday just happened to coincide with the “petite” feast that took place Sunday night – so a few of us met up at a place called the Crystals Palace that is a Lebanese, mostly outdoor restaurant on the lagoon. The place was about packed with Lebanese except at our table, which consisted of diverse group – I got an introduction to some of the differences between the music, dancing, Arabic, etc. between the Moroccan Muslims, Lebanese Muslims, Egyptian Muslims and Pakistani Muslims. Tres interesante!
The next morning my personal planner, my French speaking friend Amanda, was kind enough to set up a long over due hair appointment. Though entirely normal, I had haphazard directions that the salon was actually in this lady’s apartment, the one on the corner in the last nicer looking apartment tower… so I’m walking up to the building and hear a little guttural noise in the bushes, “Ah, a goat, that’s right, Tabaski.” Then folks start walking up to me, for my ‘not belonging here’ is written more than just on my sleeve… Luckily Shane walks up to lead me to the right apartment.
As I was leaving the building however there were no noises in the bushes, there was however a family finishing up their sacrifice at the end of the parking lot, I didn’t have my glasses on but I’m pretty sure the goat’s head was just sitting there… sometimes I’m okay with not having 20/20 vision.

No comments: