Welcome to my attempt at sharing bits of my adventure. Thank you for keeping me updated on the happenings in your life and at home.

Where am I?

Monday, October 27, 2008

Thou shall not lie

If you’ve ever happened to wonder ‘why is it that mom is so adamant about not spreading rumors?’ please, consider the following…
It is true that groups of African animists (as this is not specific to Cote d’Ivoire) believe in witchcraft/voodoo and with these practices a market for body parts, especially children and albinos, is supported for ritual sacrifices to “strengthen political parties” for example. A whirl wind of alleged reports and rampant text messages of kidnappings led some schools to shut down Friday. The crowds got wind that two men in an SUV were suspects; consequently two men driving by in an SUV were drug out of their vehicle and eventually killed by the mob’s demand for “justice”. Alleged kidnappings are yet too be confirmed; thus the two men have yet to be found involved in any way, it seems more likely that these two men were victims of the wrong place wrong time, victims of the hysteria of the mob, victims of a sobering game of telephone.
How is it that the states grew beyond the power of the mob? Savor orderly society, savor our signature of freedom and diversity, the ability to push foward while keeping our footing on the foundation laid by those who came before us. Alright, I'm getting preachy so I'm going to bed. I hope all are well. I miss you dearly and send you my love.

No comments: