Welcome to my attempt at sharing bits of my adventure. Thank you for keeping me updated on the happenings in your life and at home.

Where am I?

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Well hello there!

Haven’t seen you in a while… Welcome to DC! Working on getting my sea legs here after a whirlwind month spent dashing around the w/best coast with some of my favorite people on earth (I’ll get some back logging in shortly if you’re interested in hitting the archives.. pictures might be involved.. just thought I’d mention that :)

So yeah, DC, it’s still here. Cooled off a bit for me, which I oh so appreciate. Yesterday was a ‘lug the basics the mile back from the grocery store’ day so I could say, shower upon my return. One backpack, and two totes later (with my ol’ faithful Skagit Valley Food Co-op tote strap breaking.. this may have been out of protest as it was while I was at a hair shop buying hairspray, in an aerosol can, after supporting California organic farmers at Whole Foods… ode to vanity in the day of the zero carbon footprint.. go ahead, judge me.) I signed up for something called ZipCar . It really was a lovely walk, and as inspirational as all the heavy lifting ladies of Cote d’Ivoire were, lugging everything from lunch to the weeks wood pile balanced on top, well… sometimes this California girl could just really use a car. The sign that buying into this 21st century car sharing thing was the right move? A couple Mini's “live” in my neighborhood [insert devious laughter].

So, yes, that was yesterday. Made absolutely no effort to conform to my local time zone, that was/is today’s goal. In an effort to accomplish this goal I signed up for a yoga class at a local studio a friend in Cd’I had heard of. Now, though I’ve enjoyed yoga/must cling to it lest my desk job somehow manage to successfully break my back leaving me wishing I were dead… (yeah, that totally sucked) this was my first experience at an actual studio… now there’s different kinds of yoga classes. There’s the gym version that can sometimes sorta look and feel like a toned down aerobics’ class, the difference being the instructors outfit not involving an unfortunate 80’s unitard look, God help us.. Then there’s the incense, soul-searching, breath through your nose, during this resting pose focus on touching your foot to the back of your head, Ommmmm class.. so this mornings hour and a half was closer to the Ommm class. Oh, yes, I did in fact say hour AND a half. My entire body feels like that unfortunate had-it-coming-to-him senator on X-men who turns to that gelatinous liquid. This is post nap on the couch.

Now, if you’d rather be hearing about epic tales involving deep dark West Africa, AK-47s, crocodiles that would make Captain Hook wish he could fly, well, you’ll simply have to wait. I’m not finished with this morning. The hard wood floors of this studio in Georgetown had enough room for 60 yoga mats, how do I know this, because there was approximately an inch between the tape demarking each spot. Completely full. I was, happily/decidedly not getting claustrophobic, up against the far wall. The instructor, the saving grace being that we share a common name, had the perfect balance of encouraging guiding voice, but her sadistic smile, well it did not escape my grounded, [deep inhale] open, tranquil [exhale] pretzeled notice. Though I may not have been able to touch the back of my own head I did manage to place my foot on the head of the lady in front of me… and for the others in my near proximity, well I believe I added an extra element to their practice as I Feng Shui’d the room, pristine beth sweat flowing from my brow.

With that, love to you all! Have a great Labor Day!

No comments: