Welcome to my attempt at sharing bits of my adventure. Thank you for keeping me updated on the happenings in your life and at home.

Where am I?

Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Itch

For those who love to travel, you know what ‘the itch’ is, maybe you’re even unknown-adventure junkies, hmmhm, I wouldn’t know anything about that. For those that would rather never leave home and consider driving to the next town over a trip... well, I would encourage you to make the leap at least once, though it may go against everything in you, physically travel beyond your comfort zone, just once. It doesn't have to be to the “ends of the earth,” only truly to the unknown. It may be unnerving and feel reminiscent of taking one of those giant horse pills, but please, I’m just asking you to take this step once. If it helps, just on the other side of the unknown you can return home, lock your door, close your blinds and continue on your known, familiar way.

When and wherever you take this step please report back – maybe you’ll have a story or two to tell, maybe your love of home will simply be underlined.

For my fellow leapers, at some point I had made the small assumption that my current situation would scratch the itch if you will. In hindsight (knowing the little I do about the flags of addiction..) I’ve found myself bemoaning my neeeed to go. Ticking off the months since my last flight.. (From my current geological coordinates flights seem to dog-ear my ‘hits’; random road trips are rather limited given the political climate.) So even though, if one was to take a glance at my history, it would be apparent that the last year has dealt me no shortage of novelty and adventure of the unknown I am left to believe that there is a compound effect, the obvious being the momentum from one trip leaves you ready for the next, the other being some type of personality contagion. Yes, you see this little world I’m in is filled to the brim with other leapers. Some are searching for themselves, others remind me of a line in a song by Nickel Creek’s Chris Thile (stolen from a poem by JRR Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring) – Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: