So, why celebrate one’s bday in Paris when one can celebrate it in Paris and London?!? Off we went, zipping through the countryside, under the channel and into the city. In a slight oversight of yours truly we took the tube from the train station to our hotel in Sloane Square, what time was this on a Monday with luggage.. oh but rush hour, of course. (oops.) [Yes, in the future I will try to have a modicum of compassion for “those people” who are trying to navigate the metro, in DC for instance, blocking the doors, aisles and escalators..]
AHHH, the scent, the sounds, the sights of a new city! Ready to spring into action like a well established pro, a long list of recommendations from a London native and euro expats on my hip we attacked the overwhelming number of adventures that await even the most ill prepared London based holiday. Off we go, celebratory bday dinner at Poullet au Pot (yes, I realize it may be considered ludicrous to have come from Paris that afternoon only to have Parisian food… what can I say, it was delicious!)
An ever slight side note: for some of you who are familiar with a slightly compulsive eaves-dropping habit of mine, well, this was the first meal I’d had in an English speaking environment in over 8 months… we did manage to have our own enjoyable conversation, but not without considerable effort on my part, the accents alone were fabulously amusing! Of course as we walked back to our room we just happened to walk along Elizabeth Street – what can I say, It’s my birthday! J
The next day we continued our support of the impressive Tube system and the crown. (Not once did we wait longer than 3 minutes for a train! and typically as we walked up the metro pulled up – timeliness fitting for the inventers of the GMT.) Unbeknownst to me, the Queen’s bday is the 21st, so, as royals must, there was a variety of pomp and circumstance available for ‘the people’ to celebrate “Her Majesty” (as the American that I am it must be quotes – sorry Tories). We met up with the fun at the Tower of London, where three cannons were rolled out, 62 rounds later; hearing loss is thoroughly inflicted if the damage wasn’t done from her previous birthday rounds. (I will say that it must be nice to be Queen, she celebrates her bday twice a year! Not bad. Though I can’t imagine being related to her, what does one get the Queen? I mean honestly, how many Faberge eggs can one woman have?)
We then wandered across the Tower Bridge to the Tate Modern Museum for lunch with a fabulous view! Then off to The London Eye for yet another view – bound to see London from absolutely every angle possible. The night was finished off with a little adventure finding the Eagle Pub for the tasty gastro-pub experience.
With the Wednesday’s plans spanning the country, we started out for Hyde Park and then over to Buckingham Palace for the Changing of the Guard – quite the ordeal; a troupe of bagpipes, the Calvary, a parade of beret sporting militia, a full marching band, plus the famous regiment, that from a distance seem to be donning oversized burnt marshmallows.
We were then off to the train station yet again, this time we raced over shires to Manchester to witness Old Trafford in action, MannU vs. Portsmouth 2-0!! We happened to catch a cab with a fellow fan who took us under his wing, even included a history lesson of both team and Trafford. The stadium regularly erupted with cheers and singing – a fabulous cultural experience to round out our perception of the UK. We spent a quick night at a swank hotel and headed back for the city early the next morning to continue on our way. Happened to find a rock’n fish n’chips pub, while we enjoyed the best Guinness of my life we came to realize that it was none other than St. George’s Day (the lesser known yet just as adamantly celebrated UK equivalent to St. Patty’s Day). After spending some time in a book store I could have spent days in (exclusively devoted to travel books and maps) we wound our way through the streets of Covent Garden to find crowds spilling out of pubs onto the streets – shirtless, painted, flag waving, singing, jolly young men. We made our way over to Piccadilly Circus and Ed’s Diner for a highly recommended milkshake – 8 months without ice cream or milkshakes I ordered the Cookie’s n Cream with Bailey’s, it was just the shake for the job.
Still so much to see and do we headed for the train station in the morning, painlessly via a taxi (yes, older and wiser) – Brussels here we come! (hmhmm, J has the pix, so… I’ll post ‘em when I get ‘em :)
No comments:
Post a Comment