So, since I’m in temporary housing for yet another week and internet is suppose to take anywhere from 2 – 4 weeks to set up I’m, unfortunately, still off-line. Let me tell you, this whole practically-no-communication thing has probably been one of the toughest things to adjust to right off the bat. Granted having no cell in Paris was quite the introduction. Pay phone? In French?? Yeah, I don’t even use pay phones in the States. Is that a dial tone? Can’t I just push zero or 411 or something? Luckily credit cards are quite acceptable in Europe. It was really more like a scavenger hunt, meeting up with my cousin A’s friends – such sweet people. Anyhow, all that to say, I should be up and running soon I hope. Now, now don’t get me wrong, just because I don’t have internet and credit cards aren’t really accepted in Cote d’Ivoire (regardless of what anybody/any sign says) cell phones are widely used and widely sold (meaning they’re quite the hot commodity…meaning they are regularly stolen). However, with this whole, skipping of the copper era, service providers chronically over sell their ability to service, not so reliable…
So, week 1 – hard to believe I can say that. It was a bit of blur. Most of it was used up getting checked in. Volleyball was Tuesday night after work, great reason to get outside, just in time for the sunset. Wednesday I walked with a co-worker around our neighborhoods, which was really helpful. When I ask about getting a map people usually give me the empathizing yeah… as I’ve come to learn, maps a) hardly exist b) have very limited use since streets don’t really have names, if there is an official name, no one knows it, otherwise, it’s all about landmarks. Whether I accept it or not, as an American my assumptions lie on a foundation somewhere rooted in a grid system, whatever extent it may be, but grids have no place here. However, it is not just the difference in
“planning” but the added challenge of the lagoons, which wander for over 30 miles inland, fingers reaching in all directions, so water is not an especially helpful point of reference.
Thursday night was a “wheels up party” followed by a night on the town, since today, Friday, is a national holiday here, thank you very much!
Today was great, not only did I have excellent Indian food for lunch, but I got to see my house, I couldn’t have asked for anything better. Especially now that I’ve seen a few fellow American’s houses, which don’t get me wrong, are all very nice. But mine, or what will soon be mine, has tons of natural light, a great front and backyard with huge shade trees, and this great patio, I’ll just have to show you… or even better, you’ll have to come see! (PIC: this is Tanya, my "Social Sponsor" petting the [bEssh] a deer/rodent/some animal I haven't even seen on the Discovery channel.)
Finished off the night by hanging out with some co-workers, watching the Olympics on AFN (basically military cable TV) eating fried chicken – you have to watch the ads on AFN to truly understand (all provided by the gov/DOD), but I’m pretty sure I’ve never been more American.
So, week 1 – hard to believe I can say that. It was a bit of blur. Most of it was used up getting checked in. Volleyball was Tuesday night after work, great reason to get outside, just in time for the sunset. Wednesday I walked with a co-worker around our neighborhoods, which was really helpful. When I ask about getting a map people usually give me the empathizing yeah… as I’ve come to learn, maps a) hardly exist b) have very limited use since streets don’t really have names, if there is an official name, no one knows it, otherwise, it’s all about landmarks. Whether I accept it or not, as an American my assumptions lie on a foundation somewhere rooted in a grid system, whatever extent it may be, but grids have no place here. However, it is not just the difference in
Thursday night was a “wheels up party” followed by a night on the town, since today, Friday, is a national holiday here, thank you very much!
Today was great, not only did I have excellent Indian food for lunch, but I got to see my house, I couldn’t have asked for anything better. Especially now that I’ve seen a few fellow American’s houses, which don’t get me wrong, are all very nice. But mine, or what will soon be mine, has tons of natural light, a great front and backyard with huge shade trees, and this great patio, I’ll just have to show you… or even better, you’ll have to come see! (PIC: this is Tanya, my "Social Sponsor" petting the [bEssh] a deer/rodent/some animal I haven't even seen on the Discovery channel.)
Finished off the night by hanging out with some co-workers, watching the Olympics on AFN (basically military cable TV) eating fried chicken – you have to watch the ads on AFN to truly understand (all provided by the gov/DOD), but I’m pretty sure I’ve never been more American.
No comments:
Post a Comment